Cure your Sinus Infection Today!
Get your sinus infection treated by the exceptionally proficient Dr GVK Chaitanya
Rao – Best Doctor for Sinus Infection in Hyderabad
Sinus infection also known as sinusitis is an inflammation or swelling of the tissue lining the sinuses. The sinuses are four paired hollow spaces, whose prime function is to produce thin mucus that drains out of the passages of the nose and keeps it moist. A sinus infection takes place when these sinuses which are generally filled with air get filled with fluid. Dr G V K Chaitanya Rao is not only the Best Doctor for Sinus Infection in Hyderabad, but also the Best ENT Doctor in Hyderabad.
Dr Chaitanya Rao is an excellent ENT specialist with a diligent attribute of utmost care and compassion towards his patients. He strives to deliver his patients with supreme quality of treatment.
Get an appointment
About Dr. G V K Chaitanya Rao
Dr Chaitanya Rao is a member of the esteemed American Rhinologic Society (ARS) and European Rhinologic Society (ERS). With his 10+ years of extensive experience in the domain of ENT, he has a learning approach towards the field. Dr Chaitanya Rao is a true believer of the fact that a doctor needs to keep on updating or upskilling his knowledge round the clock in order to serve the patients with more competence. He advocates his belief by tutoring other ENT specialists through Hyderabad ENT Research Foundation and so far has imparted knowledge to more than 3000 ENT surgeons.
Dr Chaitanya Rao is not only the Best ENT Doctor in Hyderabad but also is the Best Sinus Specialist in India. His areas of expertise include Nose & Sinus surgeries, Otology, Snoring and Sleep Apnea surgeries.
What are the different sinuses?
The sinuses are named after the bones that furnish their structure namely:
- Ethmoidal sinuses – It is located between the eyes.
- Maxillary sinuses – It is located below the eyes.
- Sphenoidal sinuses – It is located behind the eyes.
- Frontal sinuses – It is located above the eyes.
Apart from being the biggest sinus cavity, the maxillary cavity is also known to get infected often.
What are the symptoms of a sinus infection?
The symptoms of sinus infection can be listed as:
- Pain in forehead
- Pain on either side of nose
- Pain in upper jaws and teeth
- Pain between eyes
- Tenderness in the face
- Nasal discharge
- Post nasal drip
- Pain in ears
- Nasal congestion
- Sinus headache
- Throat irritation and cough
- Sore throat
- Hoarse voice
- Bad breath (halitosis)
If it is a simple sinus infection then the treatment involves decongestants, over-the-counter medications, nasal saline irrigation or drinking ample fluids. In case the symptoms don’t improve after 10 days then antibiotics, oral decongestants or prescribed intranasal steroid sprays are recommended.
Why Dr. G V K Chaitanya Rao
Dr GVK Chaitanya Rao has been actively engaged in serving his patients as the Managing Director at Dr Rao’s ENT Group of Hospitals. Amid his Post – Graduation days, Dr Chaitanya Rao was invited as a visiting physician to House Institute of Medical Sciences, Los Angeles; Rhinology and Anterior skull base unit, Ohio State University Medical Centre, Columbus, Ohio and University of Michigan from where he acquired his knowledge. He is among the very few Indian ENT specialists who have undergone training in Advanced Sinus Surgery at IRCAD Taiwan. Besides this he is the humble recipient of the distinguished Vaidya Vibhushan Award 2019, awarded by Telangana State Government.
Sinus Infection FAQs
A sinus infection can affect anybody. However one is more likely to get a sinus infection if he/she has:
- Common cold
- Blocked drainage ducts
- Nasal allergies
- Nasal polyps
- Abnormal nose structure
- Smoking habits
- Immune system deficiencies
The different types of sinus infections can be categorized as:
- Acute sinusitis – An acute sinusitis triggers symptoms like runny nose, stuffy nose and facial pain. It starts suddenly and lasts up to 2 – 4 weeks.
- Subacute sinusitis – Subacute sinusitis lasts up to 4 – 12 weeks.
- Chronic sinusitis – A chronic sinusitis is defined by nasal congestion, mucus drainage, facial pressure and reduced sense of smell for at least 12 weeks.
- Recurrent sinusitis – In recurrent sinusitis, the symptoms tend to come back four or more times in a year and last less than two weeks each time.
The causes of a sinus blockage can be listed as:
- Allergic rhinitis or hay fever
- Nasal polyps
- Deviated nasal septum
- Weakened immune system (like HIV or AIDS)
- Facial fracture that curb the nasal passages
- Congenital diseases (like cystic fibrosis)
- Smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke
- Common cold
The risk factors related to a sinus infection are:
- Previous cold
- Seasonal allergies
- Smoking habits
- Exposure to secondhand smoke
- Structural abnormalities of the sinuses
- Weak immune system
Consult an ENT specialist:
- One has high fever
- Symptoms lasting for more than 10 days
- Symptoms not eased by medications
- Several episodes of sinus infection over the past year
- Fever longer than 3 to 4 days
If a sinus infection is left untreated, it can lead to serious complications like:
- Decreased or complete loss of the sense of smell
- Breathing difficulties
- Laryngitis (infection of the voice box)
- Dacryocystitis (infection of the tear sac)
- Orbital cellulitis/abscess (infection of the eye socket)
- Cavernous sinus thrombosis
- Subdural abscess
- Frontal bone osteomyelitis (infection of the bone)
- Brain abscess
Children can affected by a sinus infection because of the following things:
- Ailment from other kids
- Smoke in the environment
If you are looking for the
you are in the right place!
Yes, online consultation is available on the website.
Ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialists or otolaryngologists are doctors who treat or perform medical surgeries related to ear, nose and throat as well as head and neck areas.
Dr. GVK Chaitanya Rao can be consulted on all days except Wednesday, subject to appointment availability. To book an appointment between 9 am to 8 pm contact us over WhatsApp